- Food & Drink
- Design & Culture
- Cars, Jets & Yachts
By webadmin | September 13 2011
Frankfurt, Germany – Reported by Elite Traveler, the private jet lifestyle magazine
Land Rover today revealed a modern-day Defender concept car at the Frankfurt Motor Show. The new Land Rover DC100 previews a potential future direction for a new Land Rover Defender. The Defender is one of Land Rover’s oldest and most iconic models and has been used by UN aid workers, Red Cross medics,and police and military forces worldwide. The Defender is the bedrock on which the brand has been built and after more than 60 years of production, the model is getting a makeover.
The new concept marks the move of the iconic Defender into the 21st century market. The concept car builds upon the original model’s character but demonstrates the versatility and the future of the Defender. The design team aims to keep the Defender’s simple and honest style while meeting the requirements of an all-new global market. The new concept has been designed by the Land Rover Advanced Design team whose mission was to create a vehicle that would resonate with the commercial customer as well as the retail customer. Their aim was to create a model that is relevant to the 21st century. With an all-new Defender planned for production in 2015, replacing this iconic model will surely be one of the biggest challenges in automotive history.
Basics of the new Land Rover DC100 concept include
• Based on a lightweight, mixed-alloy platform.
• Cutting-edge, sustainable, hi-tech materials taken from aerospace industries.
• The Terrain-i scanning device warns the driver of obstacles when off-roading and can suggest alternative routes.
• Wade Aid uses sonar technology to assess water depth and advise the driver of optimum speed.
• Intelligent, next-generation, Land Rover Terrain Response system automatically optimizes the car for any environment.
• Driver-activated spiked tire system can be deployed at the touch of a button.
• Permanent four-wheel drive with an eight-speed transmission, Intelligent Stop/Start and a transfer case.
• 2.0 liter, four-cylinder petrol and diesel engine with hybrid and plug-in capabilities.