By Vivian Kelly
Looking younger than your age is no easy feat. Environmental factors such as pollution, smoke and sun exposure are all contributing factors to how our skin ages which most of the time is out of our hands.
While getting older is inevitable, it doesn’t mean you can’t look younger than your age. With the right care and products, keeping your skin supple, fresh and more youthful is more achievable than you think.
So, your burning question: how to look younger than your age? To help we chatted to skincare expert and director and founder of London Professional Aesthetics, Elizabeth Rimmer to give us her very best tips on how to look younger than you age. Here’s what you need to know, stat.
What you need to know about anti-aging:
The biggest factor influencing the way we age is determined by our genes. Darker skin types can be less prone to lines and wrinkles but more disposed to areas of patchy pigmentation which in itself can also cause aging. In fact, some studies predict that women of color age on average age 10 years more slowly than Caucasians.
But don’t be disheartened, as much as genetics is a factor, most skincare experts determine that 80% of aging is due to the lifestyle choices we make. One of the most important things to do is to apply SPF every time you step outside, regardless of the weather or season. Remember, as we age, our skin’s ability to renew itself slows down so it’s important we choose the right products to protect it.
Ingredients to look out for:
The magic antiaging ingredient to look out for is retinol, which helps to increase the rate at which our skin cells turnover. Look for 0.1% and start applying twice a week, gradually increasing the application to every night. Be aware that this may initially cause irritation to the skin and also increase the risk of sun damage so always ensure to apply SPF factor 30 or higher. We like Révive Soleil Superiéur SPF 50 Sunscreen.
Another superhero ingredient alongside retinol is antioxidants such as Vitamin C. Although eating a diet high in antioxidants is highly important, your skin may be the least likely to benefit. Therefore, topical application of antioxidants such as Vitamin C can be super effective in protecting your skin.
In order for it to be beneficial it needs to be at least 10% concentration. We recommend Obagi Professional-C Serum 20%. You must also take into consideration the fact that antioxidants are highly unstable. Elizabeth recommends to look for medical skincare brands which are more likely to have the correct dose and are packaged in a way that is not rendered ineffective as soon as you open the container.
Lifestyle changes to consider:
- Quit smoking – smoking is key in premature aging of the skin.
- Limit alcohol intake to within sensible guidelines.
- Cut down on processed foods, especially carbohydrates, as these stimulate glucose into the bloodstream, increasing insulin release, which will result in higher levels of harmful free radicals.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep – this is when the skin repairs itself.
- Steam rooms and saunas should only be used occasionally. This is due to the fact they stimulate our skins production of oil and promote the development of tiny veins on the face.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are essential for skin health – add to your diet or supplement.
- Keep your weight stable – this prevents undue sagging and stretching of the skin.
- Try to sleep on your back. You can usually tell which side someone sleeps on as they will have slightly deeper static lines on that side.